This form is to be used to apply for a period deferment or suspension your enrolled course. This form is also to be used to cancel your enrolment. Deferment and suspension is normally granted for 8 weeks. If you wish to extend this period of time, you must re-apply and the administration officer will determine whether an extension is possible.
A student may request a temporary deferment or suspension to enrolment on the grounds of compassionate or compelling circumstances.
Compassionate or compelling circumstances are those beyond the control of the student and which have an impact upon the student’s course progress or wellbeing such as:
- serious illness or injury, where a medical certificate states that the student was unable to attend classes;
- death of close family members such as parents or grandparents (Where possible a death certificate should be provided);
- major political upheaval or natural disaster in the home country requiring emergency travel which has impacted on the student’s studies; or
- a traumatic experience that has impacted on the student which could include involvement in, or witnessing of a serious accident or witnessing or being the victim of a serious crime. Such cases supported by police or psychologists’ reports.
- where THE COLLEGE is unable to offer a pre-requisite unit; or
- inability to begin studying on the course commencement date due to delay in receiving a student visa.
The above are only some examples of what may be considered compassionate or compelling circumstances. The Student Support /Compliance Officer will use their professional judgment to assess each case on its individual merits. When determining whether compassionate or compelling circumstances exist, the College will consider documentary evidence provided to support the claim.
- You should read the policy carefully to establish your eligibility for deferment/suspension
- If you wish to withdraw from the course and transfer to another educational provider within 6 months of study, please use “Release letter application form”.
- The Application for deferment/suspension/Cancellation will be assessed and provided in accordance with Della’s Policy & Procedure
- Any request for deferment/suspension/Cancellation must be made in writing, using this form
- your application will not be assessed until documentation is provided
- Processing time is 10 working days from the date of receipt of complete application